Sunday, May 2, 2010

Benefit Tournament

I have been wanting to blog about this weekend for a while now, but just haven't found the time, so now I have a little relaxing Sunday, I am going to do it:) When I was in high school I played against a girl named Kiana Livingston. She is a few years younger than me, but being from such a small town, we pretty much know everyone in our region, especially if we play sports. I competed against her in most everything, she was an all-american in all the sports. Anyway, she has just been a friend ever since high school. A few months ago she asked if I would be willing to play in a basketball tourny to benefit her 4 year old niece (Tayleah) who has cancer and is going through treatments...I of course was all aboard. The weekend came and it was fun because Tate got on the team with Tay's dad and had a blast! Much to my surprise and excitement my friend and former CEU teammate was playing on our team too, she is from Milford and also friends with Kiana so I was very excited to be able to play with her again. It was the most fulfilling, wonderful, emotional, honoring thing that I have ever been so blessed to be a part of. It was quite the big deal....small towns from all of Southern Utah came together to support this family in need, and support this little girl who has inspired so many! I am so so blessed to be from a small town because of this reason. People CARE about you as a person and individual. We had such a fun time. We played 7 games over 2 days, and boy was I sore, but it was awesome. I honestly really cannot describe the feelings that came over as Tate's team won the championship and Tayleah ran across the gym floor to hug her dad and the crowd giving a standing ovation as he hoisted her up in the air.....such a little hero! It just brought so much perspective to my life as I looked and listened to the story of this 4 year old little girl who has battled so many trials in her life, and overcome many obstacles already, all while keeping a good attitude and not allowing her family to ever ask "why". I can not imagine as a parent how I would feel to watch my child go through something like that. But the great thing about these people, is that they know that the Gospel is True...that Christ overcame all our trials. It was a great testimony builder for me to watch the examples of this 4 year old and her Faith in Christ and in the Atonement of our Savior and how she exemplified Him in her life!

My team with our shirts for winning:)

The team with the Girl of the hour...Tay!

MALLORY! She is so great...I played against her in high school then she came and played at CEU I only got to play 1 year with her, but had the best time!!!

Kasen and Tayleah....they became quick friends(Kasen loves anyone who will play with him or give him any sort of attention) but she just still holds a special little spot in his heart!!! It was adorable!

The Girl who made it all happen....She is so great and I am so glad to know her and her family!!! Dont mind my red face That's what being really out of shape does to me especially after playing basketball!

1 comments:

meag said...

jana that i super awesome!! what a sweet little girl and how sad that she is facing such huge trials at such a young age, but looks like she has tons of support. hope your doing great. we need to talk soon (especially if you are moving in a month or so.)