Monday, August 22, 2011

EPIC

The 12th and 13th of August I ran in a relay race called EPIC, from Logan to Jackson Hole.  It was intense, crazy, fun, tiring, exhilarating and all the other things I can't think of right now.  We had a wonderful Pasta party a few nights before and finalized everything about the race.  My van consisted of Liz Killpack, Stacy Taylor, Hailey Wilde, Kenna Bame and Karisa Hillman.  Boy did WE have a BLAST.  I swear, these ladies are some of the most amazing women I have ever been blessed to associate with.  The other van was filled with GREAT friends also, who we didn't see very much, but I know they had fun too:)  My first leg was a hilly 7.2 miles. It was in the heat of the day which made for a more challenging run, but I finished and was able to check it off........
 One down, 2 more to go:)  Here  I am checking off my first run.  Whew, it was nice being the first runner in my van, I like being the first, I get it done faster and dont' have to wait around to run:)
 Me, Kenna, Liz and Stacy.  So wonderfully fun:)  Our team name was Soled Out.  My favorite saying for the weekend.  "Bless your Sole."
 Never thought I would be so happy to see a sign before, but this one I loved :)  Best sign ever:)
 Here we are handing off to our other van.  Waiting around for our runner!! 
 After our first legs were over, we drove to Soda Springs and found a bunch of weeds to have a nice lunch/dinner of sandwiches and fruit.  We layed out our sleeping bags and tried to get some sleep but I don't think that one of us got any sleep.  My favorite, I was laying by Karisa, I sat up a little bit, I think she heard me, and she sat up and whispered, "Are you asleep?"  It reminded me of some sort of fun sleepover where you can't sleep and just want to play:)  We ended up talking for quite a while, it was so nice.  Then we decided to try and get some rest, when all the sudden, MR. head light man started running around.  A guy started running with his head light, making the most noise I have ever heard someone make while running. 
Kathy was kind enough to let a few of us rest in the cabin that she rented for a few hours.  I ended up going to Kenna's parents house which was a little slice of heaven, but before we left we went to get some breakfast.  I was pretty sure that  Iwasn't suppose to be in the back where the fridge was, but there was eggs in there and a hot griddle so I whipped me up some scrambled eggs and put it on some toast.  I was craving protein and it was definately calling my name.  I then left and the team overheard the in charge lady complaing about someone being in the room with her griddle.  Oops:)  Egg sandwich never tasted better:)
This is my last leg.  5.3 miles.  The first 2 miles were an average 10% incline.  I swear I was so nervous and dont' remember the last time was that nervous.  I wasn't nervous about running up that hill, I knew I could make it to the top, if I had to walk the whole way I could do it.  I was nervous about doing the BEST  Icould do and making myself be a better runner and making me more mentally tough.  I made it pretty far before a bug was in my eye.  I had to stop and walk a few times, but overall I was proud of scaling that mountain.  I had the best support and teammates ever.  I couldn't have done it without them.  I then had to run another 3 miles which was harder than running up the mountain.  There were hills everywhere, small ones and you would think that after doing a 10% that a litte 3% would be nothing but it really hit me hard.  I think I ran passed 10 snakes, whether dead or alive I am not sure, but still made me jump a few times.  Man, I was so happy to be done with that run.  I can do hard things:)  Yeah!!!
Here is our team finishing.  We finished in 33 1/2 hours.  Pretty good I think.  Still we had a great time.  Loved it!  A few times I wondered to myself, what in the crap am I doing?  Why am I doing this?  It's all worth it crossing that line shaking those cow bells:)
We are missing Liz, but this is our van.  Love these ladies!
I took almost a week off, recouperated my blisters now  Iam gearing up for my last race of the year, I think.  Top of Utah Half Marathon with my sister in Law Shanna.  This is the one that really means something.  So excited. 

2 comments:

Our Fun Times said...

Jana, you are THE BOMB.COM, look at you doing all these races, it is awesome! And can I say you LOOK AMAZING!! Seroiusly, you look sooo good, it must be all that running! Nice work lady! Sure do miss your little buns!! Love you Vevs

Karisa said...

I'll do EPIC again in the heartbeat, as I long as I don't have to run. :) It was great hanging out with you. We'll have to do it again.